Monday 4 June 2012

Bike Night Project

I recently purchased Andrew Shaylors book 'Hells Angels Motorcycle Club' and it has these fantastically gritty black and white portraits and text describing his experience with the club. I bought this book because of my FDPH104 project on bikers at the Plymouth Bike Nights on the Hoe, which I am still documenting. I have a film that needs processing which has a few images I took at Cap'n Jaspers on the Barbican of the bikers who hang out there on warm sunny evenings, I can't wait to see the results!
I keep meaning to go and photograph at Cap'n Jaspers again, but I haven't had much free time now that I am doing more hours at work and commuting into Plymouth takes time and money! But hopefully over the summer I can get out there a bit more. I have also had to miss the next Bike Night - June 7th - because it's my mothers birthday and no matter how I try I don't think I can get away with sneaking off to photograph some bikers!! But I am going to the Megaride on the Hoe on Sunday 10th June loaded with my film camera and perhaps my FugiFilm Finepix digital for a few commercial shots and then after that I will be attending the July Bike Night to photograph that for Pete Batten.
This project has been a real kick starter for me, in terms of being a documentary photographer, as I usually only do my documentary photography when I am travelling but this event has provided me with something to photograph without going anywhere, allowing me to have something to be absorbed in whilst I am at home.
Hopefully, in time I will be able to set up a small tent of some form to do portraits of the bikers on the night, but I think that will be way off in the future when my confidence in my own abilities as a photographer have improved!

No comments:

Post a Comment